Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Any of Us Would be Angry

President Obama said in his 7/22/2009 press conference that “any of us would be angry” if, like his friend Henry Gates, the police knocked on our door investigating a “break-in in progress” at our home.

In the event, Mr. Gates apparently did break into his own home and was seen doing so by a neighbor who called the police. Mr. Gates became belligerent when the police officer asked for identification. He was arrested for “disorderly conduct” and the charges were later dropped.

One aspect of the incident that’s received little attention is the President’s assertion that “anyone would be angry”.

If I broke into my own house, and I have, I most assuredly would NOT be angry if the police came to investigate a reported break-in.

I would be careful to make certain that the police knew who I was and that I was not a threat. I would be thankful that my neighbor noticed the “break-in” and that the police responded to the report. I would feel just a bit more confident in the competence and reliability of my local police department.

It seems to me that only someone with a huge chip on his shoulder would get angry in this situation. Perhaps that describes both Mr. Gates and President Obama.

Link to Featured Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment