- 9.5 million people are illegal aliens
- 8.3 million uninsured people earn between $50,000 and $74,999 per year and choose not to purchase insurance
- 8.7 million uninsured people earn over $75,000 a year and choose not to purchase insurance
- 6 million are estimated to be eligible for Medicaid but have not signed up
- That leaves 14 million "at risk" Americans lacking health insurance
There is a significant debate going on about these numbers; their accuracy and their implications. One aspect of the numbers that's being overlooked is that coverage of illegal aliens will absolutely encourage the number of illegal aliens to grow.
Already pregnant Mexican women cross the border solely for the purpose of giving birth in the United States and guaranteeing their off-spring United States citizenship.
Legally paying for all the health care for illegal aliens will surely encourage many to cross the border just to go to the doctor or get a prescription. It will encourage still more to cross into the United States to live permanently.
Even if you think illegal immigration is a good thing, and I do not, you can't possibly believe that paying for the health care of an ever-growing number of illegal aliens will reduce overall health-care costs.
Well, maybe if your name is Obama, you might believe that - or say you believe that. But one no else could.