Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dogwood Blossoms

Dogwood blossoms are fading now, but just three days ago they were glorious.

The Dogwoods cultivated in the lawns of southwest Virginia seem to glow white or pink. They generate a multitude of flowers - some of the trees appear as bright white or pink balls. I especially enjoy the lawns with white and pink Dogwoods mixed together and the occasional grafted tree with both colors springing from alternating branches.

Though domesticated trees are beautiful, wild Dogwoods draw my eyes as if by magic. Wild ones hide year around in the Virginia forests 30 to 50 feet below the towering canopy of Hickories, Oaks, and Locus. In the springtime, before the forest fills with leaves, the brilliant white blossoming wild Dogwoods shout from the midst of the forest, “Here I am! Look at me!” And I do.

Link to Featured Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment